Members! Your bead challenge for April is to create a piece of jewelry (preferably a necklace or bracelet) that can be displayed at the Sunport this summer. BSNM will be providing a display entitled “Beads: A World of Color” at the Sunport International Airport from July 13 to August 24, 2018. Co-chairs Mary Ann Cordova and Mary Ellen Merrigan are coordinating the project. There is no “kit” for this bead challenge.
1. Jewelry created for this challenge must fit predominantly into one of the following color choices:
Red, Green, Blue, Orange, Yellow, or Purple
2. Jewelry will be judged on the following criteria:
Best Use of Color
3. Create a necklace or bracelet (preferably). Earrings will be harder to display and see in the large display case at the airport.
4. You can use any technique that you like to create your jewelry (such as stringing, wirework, kumihimo, loomwork, or needle weaving). If desired, you may also create some or all the beads you use in your jewelry (using such techniques as lampwork, fused glass, beaded beads, polymer clay, paint/decoupage, and/or epoxy clay).
5. Your finished item must be brought to the May 2018 general meeting. Please put your piece in an opaque bag and you must include an index card with your name, the name of your piece, and the technique(s)/materials used. (This info will be used in the airport display.)
6. Judging will be based in part on how closely the entries followed the rules. Members will vote and prizes will be awarded.
Tip: Here are some resources that may give you ideas or help you in creating your “World of Color” jewelry item (please, no copying someone else’s designs):
- The Beader's Guide to Color by Margie Deeb
- Beaded Colorways: Freeform Beadweaving Projects and Palettes by Beverly Gilbert
- Beading Inspiration: How to Use Color in Jewelry Design by the editors of Bead & Button magazine
- The Art of Beaded Beads: Exploring Design, Color & Technique by Jean Campbell
- Beading Basics: Color (Combining Colors Like a Pro!) magazine (December 2005/January2006 issue)